Tuesday 30 October 2007

HAPPY HALLOWE'EN/SAMHAIN!

I just love celebrating Hallowe'en/Samhain (it must be the Irish witch in me!) I love to decorate the house with the spooky bits and pieces I have collected over the years. My favourite witch swings from her broomstick in the centre of our living room window over the pumpkin.

Tonight I must get a bag of mini-treats for the kids that come trick or treating (last year no-one knocked on the door and I was very disappointed!) I have so many yummy recipes to choose from to make Harvest/spooky treats for me and my lovely husband.

Whatever you are doing, I hope that you have fun and find time to celebrate the time of the year when the veil between the worlds is at its thinnest. What better time to communicate with our friends in the other realms, to honour our loved ones who are now on the other side and to celebrate with the loved ones around us? (Being Irish I don't need much of an excuse to celebrate anything!).

Below is a little poem I wrote a few years ago inspired by Rowan, one of my favourite trees:-


Samhain / Hallowe’en

Rowan berries burning bright.
Witches fires in the night.
Long black fingers weaving spells.
Cauldrons full of spicy smells.

Magic potions, sacred brews.
Healing secrets just for you.
Hubbling, bubbling, frothy lot.
Chanting spells into the pot.

Skirts and shawls twirl and dance.
Owl casts a knowing glance.
Sisters in black gather around.
Black cat utters welcome sounds.

The alchemy is at last complete.
Still now, happy dancing feet.
Sharing cups of Sacred Brew
Cheers! Happy Samhain to you!

COPYRIGHT Elly Yule 2001

(Permission required to copy or forward this).

No comments: